Tuesday 21 February 2012

Pratical life with a Montessori toddler

E has changed a lot lately.  I can see he is going through a quick phase of development ever since he started walking back in September.  It is amazing how freeing his hands has enabled him to grow, to learn, to mature.  The hand really is the medium through which the brain learns.  I think it is safe to say that E is well into toddlerhood.

I love this period.  I have always did, but more so since I got acquainted with practical life activities for toddlers.  These are the activities through which I have seen/ am seeing my toddlers grow and flourish.  I have seen them learn, and concentrate like never before.  I have seen and I am seeing now the pride in their face, and that is priceless to me.  It is worth every bit of effort and time that I put into this with them.

For the next few weeks, I'll be talking about practical life with my toddler a lot.  Why?  Because this is what is going on here.  Even the oldest are taking part of this, this is how seriously we are taking this :)


E a beaucoup changé dernièrement.  Il progresse très rapidement dans tout, depuis qu'il a commencé à marcher en septembre passé.  M. Montessori dit que la main est l'outil du cerveau pour apprendre, et je dois avouer que depuis qu'il a libéré ses mains, ses apprentissages sont exponentiels.


J'adore cette période.  je l'ai toujours aimé.  Mais je l'aime d'autant plus depuis que j'ai connu les activités de vie pratique.  Ce sont les activités qui font le plus de sens pour l,enfant de cet âge.  Elles lui permettent de réellement se construire, de prendre part à la vie de la maison.  Ce sont les activités qui emmène le plus de fierté chez mes enfants.


Dans les prochaines semaines je vais beaucoup traiter de ce sujet, puisque c'est le thème en vigueur présentement chez nous.  Même les plus vieux mettent la main à la pâte et sont soucieux d'aider E dans son développement.

6 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to it! My toddler is getting good at helping me unload the dishwasher, but I'd love to see what other kids are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new reader here. Looking forward to these posts, I have a 22 month old girl at home & love incorporating Montessori into our days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know practical life is my favourite, I'll be taking notes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the practical life stuff too. They can learn so much, and these are the skills that are most important all the way through life. I just posted about this myself yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will love this. My baby is turning one soon, and I feel such a drive to be prepared for what lies ahead of us. He started walking three months ago, and I can tell that he is growing by leaps and bounds right now! I feel like you are just a wee bit further along than I am, so it is very nice to kind of get a heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can write in English but may I do it in French instead? Just for fun ;)

    Je suis tombée par hasard sur votre blog en cherchant des images. Je cherchais une inspiration pour réaménager la chambre de mon grand Tigre (20 mois) qui doit faire place à son petit frère Dragon né en janvier.
    Et en regardant vos sujets, je me rends compte que instinctivement nous appliquons déjà beaucoup de Montessori sans en être conscients (jouets et objets à hauteur de notre enfant, favorisation de l'autonomie, respect du rythme de développement de l'enfant)... Je vais donc mettre votre blog en favori pour suivre votre quotidien et m'inspirer de votre aménagement pour réaliser le nôtre. Merci de partager cette expérience et vos trucs et astuces, je viens de mettre un nom sur mon "parenting way of life"...
    Au plaisir d,échanger!

    ReplyDelete