Thursday 17 January 2013

Learning Roman numerals



On the morning of december 26th, we had a very important breakfast at my husband's grandmother's house.  We don't get to see her very often because she lives far away, and so she was anxious to have some time with us all.
Right after breakfast was over, X came over in the dining room and actually asked me to teach him the Roman numerals...!  This kids who doesn't want to have anything to do with schooling for months now came to ask me to teach him Roman numerals.  Both DH and I were floored.  How could I refuse?  Thankfully, Grandma tagged along with us talking about Roman numerals.  I am sure she was expecting  the morning conversation to be miles away from that.

I am not sure what triggered this question, although I had a doubt.  He watched Astérix the night before on tv with his cousins.  I know that in this particular movie, they are searching for a house, and Obélix asks what xvi (said like a word in the movie) means.

The topic was raised again after we came back home, and I saw a real interest in the topic.
I put together, on a whim, a hundred Roman numeral board.  Thankfully, I was able to use a printable here
(Participassion is an awesome french website with tons of fantastic resources!  Love it!)

Printed it, glued it on whatever card stock we had around, and X immediately started to work.


He completed the chart once, it was a very long process, and nothing could distracted from it.   He asked me to do a recap chart so that he could correct himself.   And then, once completed, he was done.  He hasn't touched it since, and surprisingly he now knows everything about roman numerals...and I have come to understand a few more things about him in the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment